From: Charles Brown <browncc1@verizon.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re:Pitot and static system water traps
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 07:09:52 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Rob, if you're going to descend through rain, you need the static lines to go uphill at first as others have shown in pictures.  Here's an example (my airplane) of *insufficient* bend:  Although it looks about like the graphic in the Legacy manual, my system does occasionally collect water.  As a result, the sensed altitude gets notchy as enough static pressure has to build up to shove the water out of the way and burp an air bubble past it.  Then there's a 100-foot jump in sensed altitude.  No big deal in most conditions, but no good for precision approaches, and also causes the pitch autopilot to osciilate slightly.  It's simple to blow it out with compressed air, but obviously something to avoid entirely by good design.

Charley Brown
Legacy