From: Jim Scales <joscales98@hotmail.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Ride on mowers for tugging airplanes
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 02:09:07 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
I have been using a Cub Cadet for about 5 years to tug my airplane.  Made an extension for the standard Lancair towbar.  Put hitches front and rear on the tractor.  Has worked flawlessly for the whole time.  Tractor cost $400 without mower deck.

I have never worried about pulling or pushing on the bracket on the strut.  Cant believe it produces any more strain than a tractor that raises the wheel off the ground.

Best $400 I ever spent.

Jim Scales
Angels Playmate

To: lml@lancaironline.net
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 11:25:52 -0400
From: frederickmoreno@bigpond.com
Subject: [LML] Ride on mowers for tugging airplanes

We have a hangar full of airplanes including a Cirrus and a C182 RG at our local airport.  All are moved quickly with an old recycled ride-on lawnmower.  The  secret: a VERY long tow bar (think 10 feet plus) made of 3/4 inch square steel tubing with a yoke that is pulled apart to engage the nose wheel, and then released to close into position.  The tow bar is then connected to the lawnmower.

The long tow bar makes backing the aircraft into  position very easy because the reaction to any misalignment is slow enough to be easy to correct.  With a little practice I have watched as they wheel an airplane out, then the second one, then put the first one back including a sharp turn to angle it against the side wall.  It is a thing of beauty.  But it takes a LONG  tow bar.

Fred Moreno