From: Lancair <lancair-esp@ustek.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: Performance Engines - Creating More Pain
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 20:23:53 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

 <snip>  Cause: the forged PE pistons have lower silicon content than cast pistons (from ECI, for example) and have a higher expansion coefficient than cast pistons.  When installed with insufficient piston to bore clearance, the forged pistons rub which also scores the cylinders.  . . . Should PE have used additional bore clearance for the high compression pistons?  Of course.  Somebody screwed up and used the wrong clearance spec.   <snip>

I believe that 100% of Performance engines are shipped with forged pistons.  That is one of their trademarks of their build (that and late delivery).  So I find it strange that they used the wrong clearance.  All their engines should be sized for forged pistons and there should have been no choice to be made during assembly.  I wonder if they jobbed out this work to another shop.

Robert M. Simon
ES-P N301ES