From: Bob B. <rbelshe@comcast.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] oil cooling
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 20:33:38 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Randy,
I have a very similar layout to yours, yet have no problem with temperatures.   All winter I run with the oil cooler air naca duct mostly plugged with a piece of foam.  My oil temp seldom reaches 200 degrees.  Oil cooler outlet dumps to  lower cowl area like yours.  See picture on my web page. http://home.comcast.net/~rbelshe/

I measured the air inlet and outlets from my cowl. I have no trouble with CHT, seldom see 375 degrees, even in climb.  Cruising is 325-350 normally, lower on cold days.

Here is breakdown of my air portals.

Front air inlets 2.75x6.25x2 =34.4 sq in

Nose strut slot 4x8 =32 sq in

rear bottom outlets 2.5x5x2 =25 sq in  (partially obstructed)

slot for exhaust pipe 12x0.4x2 =7 sq in

slots on top of mags 1x4x2 =8 sq in

outlet area total 72 sq in.

the "rear" bottom outlets and the slots on top of mags are reversed NACA ducts. I don't believe that NACA ducts work in reverse, but of course they do let some air out.

I have never seen another Lancair with slots over the magnetos like mine. I guess they help but don't know how much.  Here is a picture.

This picture shows the air outlet area.

Bob Belshe
Moraga, CA
Lancair 235/320