From: John Cooper <snopercod@citcom.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Engine mount corrosion - Firewall 2000
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 17:29:17 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Rather than use the fiberfrax and stainless sheet that came with my kit, I purchased this "Firewall 2000" kit, which was supposed to be lighter and better. It consisted of a stainless steel outer barrier, an entumescent core, and an aluminum backing. To seal up the necessary gaps around the engine mounts and various other places, the kit came with a tube of 3M "Firebarrier 2000 Silicone Sealant", which I applied around the engine mounts and other places where things were attached to the firewall.

Unfortunately for me, the "Firebarrier 2000" ate away the paint and rusted the engine mount. Now whether the Firebarrier 2000 is itself corrosive to steel, or whether it just "attracted moisture", I don't know. It had no effect on either aluminum, or stainless steel - only the 4130 engine mounts.

At great personal time and expense, I was able to use 80 grit sandpaper and wire brushes to clean up the rust, re-primer the steel, and repaint it. I'll be sealing the gaps with red RTV this time.

Y'all be careful out there...
Image
Engine mount rust.jpg