From: Lancair <lancair-esp@ustek.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Deice for the IV
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 08:13:21 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
. . .  I have a lifetime of experience with the Thermawing and RDD
enterprises in the last year. . . .
OH, by the way the system still doesn't work and advertised.  Tim,
LNCIVP, 524JG
=

I reckon different folks have different experiences.  My installation
was one of the first, and it too had a few inconsistencies.  After
Oshkosh 2007 RDD took the plane and worked on it for two weeks straight,
changing both software and hardware.  In the end the system worked just
fine.  Now before take off I activate Therm-X, it runs diagnostics and
then goes to a ready mode.  During flight I punch it on and it begins
cycling through all heat panels.

Rarely do I run into ice but on occasion ice happens and the system has
clears it every time.  Some pilots (not me of course) might even spend
winter days bedecked with icy clouds just boring holes through the
afore-mentioned clouds, watching the ice build and disappear (in light
ice conditions you'd need to turn the system off to see any buildup - or
so I have been told, not being one to fly in known icing conditions).

There is a difference between the IV and the ES systems, and part of
your problem might be the location of the controller.  If it overheats
the systems gets a bit flakey.  Mine is mounted to a big-ass heat sink.
I understand that some of the IV's have it mounted to a metal plate that
is on or near the gear.  Because of that airstream your system should
perform better, not worse, than mine.  The problem could be in the exact
location.  These are experimental aircraft and what works in one might
not work in another without some tweaking.  In fact I about guarantee
that.  My plane took 2+ years to build and another 1 year to iron out
most of the wrinkles.  In the end though I have one heck of a flying
ship - not as fast as your IV but it'll do.  Stick with your plan, get
RDD to spend some time with the plane, and in the end you'll be pleased,
of that I have no doubt.

Robert M. Simon
Lancair ES-P N301ES
Based Columbus OH: KDLZ