From: Robert Pastusek <rpastusek@htii.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] IVP hstab incidence (was 360 in a small-tail LNC2)
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 08:13:21 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

Colyn,

At an empty weight of 2290#, the CG of my IV-P (with air conditioning) is almost two inches aft of the most forward allowable. Having set a MGWt of 3600#, I run out of CG before I can actually load to this weight with any reasonable configuration. My elevator trims up below 160 KIAS, approximately neutral at 160 KIAS, and goes progressively nose-down as the IAS increases. My translation is that the tail plane needs to generate just a bit more (down) lift to be able to fly with the stab in a neutral position. Changing the incidence of the tail plane could move it toward neutral in high speed cruise, but would adversely affect the slow speed (TO & land) trim and handling.

BTW, my trim setting for TO and normal landing is the identical. I rarely need to adjust the trim in preparation for TO—unless someone bumps the trim switch while trying to arrange their “stuff” in the right seat…

Bob