From: Craig Berland <cberland@systems3.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: [LML] IVP hstab incidence (was 360 in a small-tail LNC2)
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 08:13:21 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

My IVP is extremely forward CG.  not out the front of the envelope, but more forward than any other IVP I know.

and yet, at cruise I am trimmed several dots down from neutral, which would mean considerable elevator deflection.

I'm wondering if any IVP out there has the hstab incidence set up so that the elevator is neutral at cruise?  Colyn Case

Colyn, the IV-P horizontal build specification is -.6 deg.  The general consensus is zero to -.2 deg is better.  I put mine in at -.2 deg.  I can’t say what effect that had yet.  Additional note…  the horizontal as per Lancair’s CAD model is suppose to be a symmetrical airfoil however mine came out as an inverted wing and it was closed in Redmond.  The top surface is flatter than the bottom.  I CNC machined templates from the CAD models and the bottom surface matches the CAD model perfectly and the top surface, as I mentioned, is flat in comparison.  My intuition is a horizontal at zero deg will be a little faster than one at -.6 deg.

Craig Berland