From: Greenbacks, UnLtd. <N4ZQ@comcast.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: Ryan 9900B
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 18:16:32 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Hi Scott,

I agree with your comment on 430W, I have it in my Mooney. I also agree that TACS capability is of somewhat limited value in the IFR environment. As you well know, I began construction of my 360 way back in the last century when you were still a twinkle in somebody's eye. Had I known about WAAS, I might have at least planned ahead to provide for an eventual upgrade. My (new) Apollo GX60 is approaching dinosaur status and has no upgrade path for WAAS.

If I got really enthusiastic and all fired up about a WAAS upgrade, I would remove my GX60 and SL70  and their trays from the stack. They could then start a new life as paper weights on my desk. A new Garmin WAAS unit could then occupy that footprint. The SL30 nav/com would move to the bottom of the stack and the old transponder would need to be replaced with a remote located transponder. A lot of work that would interfere with plans to become airborne this year... The only part of my gps system that is WAAS compatible   is the RG400 antenna cable.... and it runs in a bundle with the 4 9900B, 1 com and 1 marker beacon cables on the left side of the cockpit.

I'd be a little bit irritated if I went the upgrade path described, only to find out that the 9900B cables were makin' WHOOPY with the GPS cable....how's that for electronic speak?

Angier Ames
N4ZQ
N3ZQ