From: Doug Baleshta <dbaleshta@tru.ca>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] FW: forward hinge canopy bid thickness LN360
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 18:16:31 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Thanks Larry, the uni-directional Carbon Fibre I had seems to be relatively thick and if I went with 18 bid it would be substantially thicker than what is shown on the plans.  I've since found some thinner stuff from Aircraft Spruce that will allow the 18 bid and be within the plan spec, I think.  B.T.W. have you noticed any bowing in the middle when closing the canopy?  Any recommendations for the strip stiffener in there?

Thanks
Doug

>>> Larry Henney <LHenney@charter.net> 02/23/09 5:01 AM >>>
Doug,

I went with the 18 Bid per the plans on 3 aircraft.

If you are referring to the leading edge contact at the header tank
thickness..?....  All 3 that I built required trimming the carbon back the
width of the header tank overlap (or about 3/4").

No problems on mine 850 hrs to date.  No cracking.

Am I missing your question.  Why would resultant calculated thickness have
anything to do with plans requirement of bids?

Larry Henney