From: MICHAEL LARKIN <mlas@cox.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Legacy Canopy Down & Latc..
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 12:28:24 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
To all:

I have asked the builders I have done work for to incorporate a canopy lever micro switch for some time.  I incorporated the switch in my own Legacy from day one.  I order to get past the issue of light vx. horn, I used the concept of "Lights Out."  This is a concept that is used on most modern aircraft today.  Before you take the runway you configure the aircraft for takeoff.  Important systems (flaps, trim, fuel, fuel pump, canopy) have either check list, annunciator lights, or both to indicate proper position.  Once the aircraft is configured all lights are out.  So on takeoff you should not see any light.

These accidents bring up a more important issue that is being glossed over.  The Legacy flies fairly well with the canopy open.  Aviation safety is in most cases a state of mind and an issue of planning and prioritizing.  When things go bad ( which will happen to every one at one level or an other), you have to immediately start prioritizing.  But prior to any of this, a pilot must know his craft.  You have to ask yourself what will I do if this (ie. canopy pops open on takeoff) happens to me!  When something happens, you have to switch gears and go into survival mode.  In the example item prior, fly the plane, screw the noise, screw the stuff flying around the cockpit, stay calm, and make good decisions.  If you keep flying the plane and get past the oh no or what if, im most cases you will come out ok.  Deal with what you have, its normally not that big of a deal.  A good example is an engine failure on takeoff in a single engine airplane.  If you don't know exactly what energy state is required to return to the airport (because you never tested this, glider pilot 101) you go strait ahead and start thing about what will allow me to live.  Screw the airplane.  You are going to need energy to touch down, anything less is death or worse.  The morel of the story, fly the plane to the landing at the proper speed and under control whether planed or unplanned.  Their is no difference.  It's all about prioritizing.

Reducing the loss of life in these types of airplanes is up to us.  Just my 2 cents.  Sorry for being so intense but we need to shift our mind set.

Mike Larkin

Lancair Legacy builder
Kitfox builder
Polish Jet restorer (this will leave you thinking)
A-320 MX maintenance test pilot
Avionics consultant
A&P...
FIrst flight inspections