From: Dennis Johnson <pinetownd@volcano.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: Accident Narrative
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 13:32:24 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
"I believe that when the canopy was suck up far enough that it blanketed the tail causing the aircraft to pitch nose down, causing the closing of the canopy there in turn causing the elevator to become effective again which then allowed me to regain control and level again, which caused the canopy again to open, etc., etc."

This may or may not be relevant to open canopy controllability, but I think the preceding description is backwards.  The tail provides negative lift in level flight, pushing the nose down, not up.  If the open canopy blanketed the tail, I think the nose would have pitched up, not down.

I point this out for two reasons:

1.  It's an important concept that all of us pilots sometimes get backwards and that can lead us to make incorrect decisions  with possibly bad outcomes.

2.  A Legacy pilot I respect took off with his canopy open and reported that there was absolutely no control issues.  Lots of noise and charts blowing around, but the canopy opened a couple of inches and stayed there.  I'm unable to reconcile his report with the "Accident Narrative" description.

I'm not saying that the error in the description of the recent incident invalidates the conclusion that an open Legacy canopy causes serious control issues.  I can understand that in the heat of battle, it would be easy to confuse whether the nose was pitching up when the canopy opened or vice versa.  But considering that I have totally contradictory evidence from another Legacy open canopy takeoff, it does create a question that should be answered.

Based on the numerous LML posts and discussions with other Lancair pilots, taking off with an unlatched canopy is not uncommon and Legacy pilots need to decide if it's a controllability issue or not.

My personal opinion is that a warning light or buzzer that the canopy is unlatched would be helpful, but insufficient.  Pilots ignore warning lights and buzzers all the time because we become totally focused on other tasks.  That is a well established fact.  Or a passenger could snag a sleeve or purse handle around the Legacy's canopy latch handle and accidentally raise the handle in flight.  If I really believe that an open Legacy canopy has the potential to make the airplane uncontrollable, the current latch handle, at a minimum, must be locked in flight to prevent accidental opening.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but for the moment, I'm going with my friend's experience that there is no controllability problem instead of the recent "Accident Narrative."  However, it has shaken that belief and I need to reconsider.

I invite Lancair International to provide solid facts on the issue, based on flight testing or aerodynamic modeling.  If it really is a controllability issue, we must do something to reduce the risk and we must do it now.  If it's not an issue, let's stop wasting time worrying about warning lights and develop a training program to deal with an open canopy.

Best,
Dennis