From: Bob Smiley <rsmiley2@centurytel.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Legacy damaged
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 13:32:07 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
I concur with Bill Harrelson's statement to close the canopy on the ground. I would add that this should be mandatory for manual flight aircraft.  If however, you have an autopilot then you might consider closing in flight as the AP will fly the plane level and straight while you shut the canopy.  above all don't panic.

Suggestion. install a handle or strap on the canopy crossover brace so you can grab it with your hand.  I inserted a slot on the canopy where my fingers slipped into it.  Fingers are not strong enough to pull the canopy shut from the wind lifting forces. Ground closure is the onlly option.  you need to get a grip with your hand and the pull is about 30 lbs to close. If however, you are an extreme rock climber and hang from cliffs from your fingertips you may disregard this message at your peril.

Bob Smiley
N94RJ