From: Ian Crowe <ian.crowe@sympatico.ca>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Legacy damaged
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 14:25:45 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
I too would like to know what caused the Legacy pilot to loose control. I assume he has a front hinged canopy as I do on my 360.

In the early days when I was flying my 360 I took off once without latching the canopy correctly and yes it came open.  The noise level was disconcerting but the effect on the airworthiness of the plane was negligible. Flew the pattern and latched it correctly.  My pride was hurt but a lesson was learned!

Before I flew the plane, I was transporting it on a trailer to the paint shop,  following the trailer in my car when the canopy popped open at about 70mph.  It opened about 3" or so and that varied with the vehicle speed.

I cannot see a situation arising where the canopy would open wide enough when airborne to cause aerodynamic problems or am I living in a fool's paradise.

I used to fly a Piper PA28 which was a regular door popper.  Almost impossible to latch in flight unless you had a buddy in the RH seat to assist.  Not always possible then.  However no real aerodynamic effect.

Ian B.  Crowe
LNC 2 C-FKRO