From: Richard T. Schaefer <schaefer@rts-services.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Electrical System Voltage Waveforms
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 19:03:52 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Cool ... The excursions can still be a problem for avionics that do not
comply with strict aviation standards. (Which include size and length of
voltage excursions during normal operations)

i.e. during the voltage sag, or low voltage, you can start driving some
transistor switches in the power supplies into a linear mode ... they then
have to dissipate considerably more power, and if they are not heat sinked
can burn up.

i.e. during some of the over voltage events, caused by shutting off high
current devices where the regulator has to adjust, you can get close to
maximum junction voltages on some transistors. The best protection here is
good condition LARGER batteries.

NOTE: Internal resistance of a battery which increases with age and
inversely with size (typically) of the battery will cause larger swings on
both of these events.

r.t.s.