From: Chuck Jensen <cjensen@dts9000.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Re: cylinder wear-to lean or not too lean
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 16:33:36 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
EGT reading means (almost) nothing.  They are neither too high or two low, since the absolute temperature reading is highly variable depending on probe location.

The only use for the EGT (but it's an important one) is to know where, as you lean out the engine, your peak EGT is reached.  Then you are able to decide whether to run 75 degrees ROP or 50 degrees LOP.    It doesn't matter if it is 50 degrees lean of 1550F, 1475F, 1400F or any other number.

In short, the absolute value of the EGT reading is not of great interest....only the trend of the EGT as you lean out the engine.

Chuck