From: Brent Regan <brent@regandesigns.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: Alternative Power Plants
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 16:14:28 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Colyn writes:
<<<
Brent,
    long as you are talking about engines, can you say what was so bad about the continental that you thought it was worth 700 hours to avoid it?

Colyn, if I didn't know better I would think you are looking to start a brawl. You are asking me to stand on a table in a college cafeteria and yell "PCs are better than Macs". Well....OK, let the fruit cups fly.

At the time (1992) I didn't think it was going to cost 700 hours.

Bigger diameter crank shaft. Girth matters as it improves stiffness as a cube function.

Better cooling. None of that funky induction system in the way of cooling air.

Funky induction system. The "Continental tuned induction" thing is a myth because the you can't split flow the way they do. The proof is, and according to George, that GAMI  injectors make a bigger improvement on Continentals then Lycoming. If they started balanced then how can they be improved?

More experience with 350 Hp class engines. The Continental is an uprated 310 Hp engine. The Lycoming was designed for 350 Hp and has thousands of engines in this size in service. Parts are available worldwide. Core engines (for installation development) were ubiquitous and cheap ($5K).

Mechanics I talked to said that they made more money from Continental owners they Lycoming owners.

Top aerobatic planes invariably use Lycomings (and they still tear the props off from time to time).

Continental has proprietary alternator and starter.

Pressurized mags that love to corrode.

Malibu vs. Malibu Mirage.

Other than that, no reason at all.

Not to say the Lycoming didn't have some problems. In particular the intake plenum shares a wall with the oil pan. Good for naturally aspirated engine ice prevention but bad for turbo temps. Low compression pistons (high compression available). Crappy prop oil slip ring passage. High mounted cam shaft, out of all that pesky oil.

In the end I built a high compression engine (8.5:1) with low max manifold pressure (35"Hg), high volume oil pump, custom induction and exhaust  systems and a new sump with bed mounts so I could use the stock Lancair engine mount. It also had a sealed upper plenum plus some other voodoo speed mods.

The only nagging problem I had was marginal turbo oil scavenging so I eventually designed and built a dual input scavenge pump. Problem solved.

I built 8 sets of parts to amortize the engineering and NRE costs and then sold the design to Lycon in CA.

Regards
Brent Regan
Image
DSCF0790.JPG