From: Steve Colwell <mcmess1919@yahoo.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Fuel Tank Testing
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 17:57:10 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

Christian,

I am not trying to “flame” you, but fuel has a much lower surface tension than water and will leak thru a hole that water will not.  A very small leak may not show up with your method.  I saw a Legacy wing that had a leak in the main spar web that traveled several feet, all the way to the inboard end of the main spar.  I think it required deskinning the wing.  The moral being to VERY carefully check the tank sealer with a bright light before closing the wings.

Steve Colwell   Legacy

In Austria we use following test to check the fueltanks:

Fill the wings completly with water. Seal all openings. Add a tube to the fuel pickup.

This tube should be 1.43 meters high and will also be filled with water. Keep this for a few hours

and check the water level.

1,43m of water = 0,14bar = 4,14inHG  Pressure

There is no barometric error.

Christian

Lnc2 / 390

OE-VCM