From: Charlie Kohler <charliekohler@yahoo.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Severe Turb/ Hard Landing
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 17:57:10 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
And the answer is-- IMHO

LNC4
Hard landing/severe turbulence inspection.

Make sure the aircraft has complied with the SB 066 Re: the aft inspection panel screws.

Check Bulkhead to empanage bonds.
Visual and Tap test.
Horizontal stabilizer cradle.
No Cracks in the skin-- shake the horizontal stab-- look for looseness. Gearbox attach screws. (Sidewall and bottom of fuselage).
No cracks in outer paint or skin.
  And, this is the one I believe is over looked and perhaps the first to indicate damage.

The narrow strip of skin between the aft end of the main landing gear doors.

I have discovered on four separate occasions a deformity/ delamination between the skin and the elevator push tube cover.On one, I asked the pilot/owner if he had taught himself to fly the airplane. He said he had. I asked if he had any hard landings and he chuckled and said "oh yes".

The second one, I believe, (according to a report) happened in moderate to severe turbulence.The other two happened during the build process. They had not flown up to that point. If you discover a wave in the skin between the doors--- look for a delamination between the inner surface of the skin (or honeycomb) and the elevator push tube cover. Having someone push up on the empanage at the aft jack pad. As they push up and release-- see if the wave in this skin changes shape.If it does not change, and no gap is seen-- then it was probably built in from the beginning.

This will change the angle of incidence of the horizontal stab. So for that reason I would repair it. Hopefully you know how to rebond and reinforce the push tube cover and skin.

Most would think this push tube cover is nonstructural and only to keep dirt out of the elevator controls. Not so. It reinforces this area of the skin and transfers the load from the aft fuselage and horizontal stabilizer to the gearbox area.

Check out the picture.

Charlie K.  See me on the Web at  www.Lancair-IV.com