From: <Sky2high@aol.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Down Flap Relay Failure (Update)
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 07:39:40 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Tom,

I've got to find the wiring diagram.  If I remember correctly, part of the circuit is to provide reverse power to instantly stop the motor so it doesn't drift.  The magnetic reed switches that sense the up/down limits merely remove power much like the flap switch.  In order for the limit switch to fail, you would have had to hold the flap switch in the down position (unless it is not a snap-back switch).  Perhaps someone else can explain why the relay contacts would be arcing (stuck) and if that was the cause of the flap motor continuing.  There are ways to protect the contacts.  I've got to dig out the wiring diagram.

The flap pix are interesting as they indicate you were performing as a test pilot.  Your judicious use of power certainly saved the day.  The nose down pitch would have been increased along with extreme drag and probably no additional lift.  I think if you would have fire walled the throttle, control might have been compromised.  Side note: I use partial flaps (3 degrees from 160 to 140 KIAS and 10 degree take off flaps from 140 to 110 KIAS) to assist in slowing down and to keep the nose down at those slower speeds.

I'm glad the rods weren't bent.  I'm sure there would have been some skin damage if this had happened with the flaps going up - and I have no idea about what control issues would have been introduced - especially at slow speed and high AOA.

The trim tab looks like it is fully effective at cruise (tab deflected up to keep the nose trimmed down), but the air flow might not work as well when the tab is deflected down (elevator up) because of the disturbed airflow around the screws and over the hinge.  Maybe.  Of course, the tab could be extended aft if more control is needed.

It will be very interesting to learn where the CG is located.  Hmmmm, even minor equipment changes often require that the moment be recalculated and logged.  The airplane should have been re-weighed when the engine was changed.  LNC2's seem to benefit from a more forward CG, especially if they go faster than normal.  As such, it could have an effect on trim with the flaps extended that requires adjustment to trim effectiveness as mentioned above.  BTW, I have a 12 pound harmonic damper on my flywheel that moved my empty weight CG a bit forward of the recommended range.

Anyway, nice flying in that you were sensitive to the control distortions and carefully corrected them with power, etc.

Scott Krueger