From: Jim Nordin <panelmaker@earthlink.net>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Fuel Tank Testing
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 07:39:25 -0500
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
Empty the tank of fuel. Flush the inside of the tank with Freon, pressurize
it a tiny bit, seal it, then use a Freon "sniffer" to detect the very
smallest micro leak. Flow plenty of air over the wing areas for a while
(after filling the tanks with Freon) to remove residual Freon pockets (on
the outside of the wing) before your search begins. Freon's molecular size
(critical dimension is about 5.3 angstroms) is close to pentane (6 angstroms
I think I remember) which means, if you can flow pentane, you can flow
Freon. So if you find a leak using a sniffer, you might have a gasoline leak
there too. Hey, I might be wrong about the numbers . it's been a long time
since using these dimensions etc, but the sniffer should work even if the
numbers are wrong. This method removes the volumetric, atmospheric,
temperature variation issues altogether and Freon doesn't support combustion
(unlike air). Just make sure there's positive pressure (tiny amount) in the
tank when searching for that micro amount of Freon.
If you have a leak, do the best you can to determine what caused it. Is a
lack of fuel sealer opening an area of exposure, have a crack in the wing
structure, what? The cause may be pointing to the appropriate repair. I
wouldn't just take the wing skins off only to find out something minor was
the problem.
Jim