From: Steve Colwell <mcmess1919@yahoo.com>
Sender: <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: IO-550 Options
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 07:02:28 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>

It would be a stretch to call this experiment a system, at least at this point.  My idea was to find a cheaper, hopefully more efficient inlet than the factory ram air for my normally aspirated IO-550.  Vangrunsen made a dedicated plenum chamber for a carbureted Lycoming in RV’s that he found had over one inch more manifold pressure with the K&N Filter than without.  Motorcycles are my other vice and I have seen the factory efforts made on high performance bikes to get plenum space under gas tanks.  So it would seem to be an area worth looking into.

My knowledge of plenums is limited to what I have picked up from other sources.  This is an experiment that has not been tested due to my other engine problems.  If the upper plenum has enough pressure at cruise considering the flow for cooling and if the air is slowed down with less turbulence it could work.  This filter was the largest one I could fit with a minimum bend.  The filter side closest to the cylinder fins may get enough radiant heat to adversely affect induction temp or keep it temporarily free of ice (your choice).  Tests with temp probes, heat shields, flow deflectors and maybe relocating a different shape filter will make an interesting project.  I will post test results.  See ya at OSH.

Steve Colwell  Legacy N15SC

I hear several of the gang talking about a system developed by Steve Colwell instead of ram air, what is it and how can I find out soon

Michael  IV-P