From: Jim Thomas <mypa12@yahoo.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Legacy Canopy Lock
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 00:55:53 -0500
To: <lml>
I have incorporated two modifications to my Legacy that Valin Thorn posted
on the LML; one which slightly raises the canopy when the canopy handle is
opened, and the other which hides a lock behind the canopy handle.  Both
are elegant improvements to the Legacy's canopy system.  However, I want
to let readers know that I felt the need to modify the locking system.
This is a result of playing an "avionics theft" on my own Legacy.
Following the "prove it to me" approach, I tried to break into my Legacy
with the canopy locked by wrenching down hard on the canopy handle.  Don't
get me wrong, this was not some casual attempt to see if the canopy was
locked,  I really tried hard and there are still marks in my hand where
the canopy handle dug into my flesh.  Thieves won't  care if they break
something on your airplane.  Well I did break something and it was the end
of the lock tumbler where the striker is attached.  My analysis of the
failure concludes that the geometry of the system allows the canopy
latching system to apply a force on the striker which applies a torque to
the lock tumbler that the lock is not designed to take.  Consequently the
lock failed by the striker rounding off the tumbler.

Now I have to say that I would not put a lock on my Legacy unless it was
hidden so relocating the lock was not an option (also it was already
bonded in).  As a result I noted that the best solution was to put the
striker in tension on the tumbler with no torque.  I recalled the solution
Leighton M. used on John Halle's Legacy, which was to build a catch on the
canopy torque tube off the existing weldments.  I built a ?" thick
aluminum catch and mounted it between the weldments using 3 each #6 screws
in double shear and bent the spare striker I purchased (it was a cheap 89
cent investment) to engage the catch.

Playing avionics thief again I tried to break into my Legacy with the new
lock.  Maybe I am a masochist (and I have the bloody palms to prove it),
but now I know I'll be replacing a shattered canopy instead of replacing a
$25 lock and some soon-to-be-out-dated avionics.  If I recall correctly, I
have more time into building my canopy than any other part of my
plane??..is this lock idea really worth it?

Jim Thomas
L2K #166