From: Rob Logan <Rob@Logan.com>
Subject: Lancair IVP kit #456 N619SJ First Flight
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 23:19:53 -0500
To: Rob Logan <Rob@Logan.com>
 From: <VTAILJEFF@aol.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2002 6:21 PM
Subject: [LML] Lancair IVP kit #456 N619SJ First Flight

N619SJ flew for the first time today guided by the skillful hands of Charlie
Kohler. 36 months from kit purchase to first flight. Airworthiness inspection
went smoothly until we got a major snowstorm here in St. Louis yesterday.
Snow and cold slowed us down some but grit and determination, hot coffee and
a kerosene fed "salamander" kept us going. Charlie showed up Monday
afternoon-- took a quick look at the airplane and paperwork and discussed
with me the inspection format. Tuesday and Wednesday he inspected and we
corrected. Couldn't fly yesterday due to snowstorm.

Went to the airport today and skies cleared up by 1000. Still cold and ramp
had snow and ice. Called fire department so they could be briefed on door
latches, fuel, hydraulics, battery, hazards, etc. Called tower and briefed
them on our test plan. Fast taxis trying to get unmetered fuel pressure up to
41 gph at full throttle-- set at 33 gph at TCM. Had to uncowl a couple of
times to adjust fuel pressure but third time was a charm.

Takoff was uneventful. Climbed to 2000' AGL over north parallel runway for a
racetrack pattern. Total time was about 20 minutes. Charlie reports that with
the trim centered, the plane flew hands off with the ball in the middle. No
heavy wing syndrome.

For those of you getting close to finishing up, consider using Charlie
Kohler's DAR and test pilot services. I was very impressed with his knowledge
and help with the project.

Jeff Edwards
N619SJ-- LIVP
+