From: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: IVPT garrett engines and fuel capacity
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 04:37:22 -0500
To: <lml>
Posted for Shane Daly <f4u5n@shaw.ca>:

Tom,

I have to agree with you about the 601D. We are currently running one in a
Turbine Legend and absolutely love the simplicity and performance of it. Our
engine was originally a Walter factory rebuild and did run well. During our
initial installation the Walter factory was of little to no help in solving
small difficulties we had in getting everything working correctly. Even
though it was a Walter factory engine, John Cook was more than willing to
help us with getting it right and was always just a phone call away. After
getting everything right with the engine, we had an "incident" involving a
nose gear failure on landing which required the engine to be overhauled. We
sent it down to John Cook to be checked out and to have the hot section
ceramic coated while there (highly recommended). After getting the engine
back in the plane, it is running better and producing more power than it
ever did before. John knows his stuff and will go out of his way to help you
get your engine running right.

I personally have been to the Walter factory in Prague and have taken their
turbine maintenance course. The factory is very old and run down and they
are still using equipment built in the early sixties. I was impressed by
their pride in what they do, but their economy just won't support upgrading
their equipment to modern standards. While I was there, I was given the
impression that Walter is not that interested in the "Experimental" market.

Get your engine from John, you will end up with an engine that is at worst
equal to if not better than what you will get from the factory. You will
also get much better support and service at a much more reasonable price.

Just my experience,
Shane Daly
f4u5n@shaw.ca
Turbine Legend C-GUTT   working on two VI-PTs

I understand you