From: Tom Hall <tomhall@starband.net>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] JeppView on a Tablet PC
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 16:55:17 -0500
To: <lml>

Anyone have experience with JeppView or FliteDeck on one of the new tablet PCs (like a Compaq TC1000, price $1700)?
Clark,

I have been flying FliteDeck on a Fujitsu 500C pen tablet for about 2 years. Hamid is correct in stating that one of the biggest issues is image brightness. There are modifications to make screen brighter, but IFR approach plates are generally white and fairly easily read. Also, it should be noted that usually IFR approaches are not peformed in bright sunlight.It is also easy to enlarge plate with the FliteDeck Software. Resolution is not much of a problem.

I usually make paper copies of planned approaches and alternates as backup. It is nice to have all plates without carry those books and having to do updates. The Fujitsu has worked very reliably and I purschased thru Paperless Cockpit. Com. They have been quite helpful and seem reasonably priced. There are new models of Fujitsu available now. If you are computer literate, you can buy software and computer and setup yourself.

Additionally, I am running EchoFlight's EchoMap software on same pen tablet and using it for WX and radar downloads. Both programs will run simitaneously. You do need keyboard sim software for EchoMap but that's not a problem. It comes with pen tablet.The Echo Map has it's own GPS software and receiver. The JeppView FliteDeck drives off my 430.

Overall, it works well and I am reasonably happy with the setup.
If you would like more details, email me off list and I will send you ( or anyone ) my # and we can discuss.

Tom Hall LV-4PT 20% maybe??