From: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Engine Cooling thought
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 12:17:37 -0500
To: <lml>

Posted for "JJ JOHNSON" <JJJOHNSON@ACCESSCOMM.CA>:

I once owned a couple of Super Cubs that we used to tow gliders.

Naf         I'd agree w/ you to a point. I flew several hundred hrs dumping jumpers in a 182 and although I've never personally bust a jug. Some of the other ham-fisted operators did infact bust jugs. However having said that we did have one a/c which was over 300 hrs on condition and to my knowledge is still going and this is 2 yrs later. I'm of the impression that if you've climbed for 15 min's at max cont. power and then yard back on the throttle and push it up to Vne in descent, your asking for trouble. On the other hand if you climb the same way and reduce power to say 18" and then gradually reduce from there  1"/minute [all up w/in 5mph of Vne]you'll do ok in keeping your engine going to TBO. It's not guaranteed but it sure helps and using this procedure I've never bust a jug nor had any type of engine failure in over 600 hrs of this type of flying. Keep in mind I'm no expert nor am I one whom is well stricken in years and wise. But I can expound on the modest experience that I have had. ;-)
My 2 cents.

Jarrett Johnson

235/320 50%