From: Brent Regan <Brent@regandesigns.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: Titanium Components
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 15:56:50 -0500
To: <lml>
Gary asks:

<<
I would be very interested in obtaining source information for the titanium
components. Also, which AN components were replaced with titanium?>>

All the Lancair specific components (hinges, spar bolts, brackets etc) I machined from raw stock. Working with Ti  is slow and painful and you have to know what you are doing. I recently built a titanium tail wheel assembly for Greg Poe's Edge 540 (part of his sponsorship). It saved over three pounds but would have cost him over $5K if he had to buy it. Before and After shots are below.

The AN replacement bolts I had laying around. "LAYING AROUND?!?!?!" you say. Yep , back in the '80s I started a robotics company and several of the telemanipulators we built were titanium (they were used on oceanographic research vessels like the "Alvin"). Every time one would come back to the shop for overhaul we would replace every fastener. Consequently I had buckets of NAS-640x-xx titanium hex bolts. Alas, I sold the company shortly after building the airplane so no more bolts :-( .

BUT there are often titanium bolts on ebay (a search turned up 25 listings). Be prepared to spend $$$$$$s. Figure a buck a piece SURPLUS and $3-$10 each new with certs. If I had to actually pay for the bolts I never would have used them, but then I am a cheap SOB.

You can save pounds for pennies by replacing the nylon stop nuts and steal washers with MS21042 nuts and AN960PD-xx aluminum washers. I know it is only grams but you use hundreds of them and it DOES add up. Do use your brain, not every steel washer can be replaced with aluminum.

Compliments of the season,
Brent Regan

Image
Tail Wheel TI.JPG