From: Root <Root@Logan.com>
Subject: Fw: Panel Lighting ....
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 21:29:40 -0500
 From: "Jim Sower" <canarder@starband.net>

All,
I remember way waaaay back in another life how important night
vision was in tactical jet operations.  More recently I've heard
that airliners and bizjets are moving away from the old standard
red interior cockpit lighting to white or "blue-white" or
somesuch.
Anyone out there with "recent" (say in the past 15 years or so)
tactical experience that could "shed some light" on this
question?  Are night carrier ops as dark and dank as they used
to be?  Are there other colors that illuminate as well as or
better than red without damaging night vision?

For my own part, I've very rarely ever used landing or taxi
lights but have realized that it's necessary in GA if only to
chase the deer and geese off the runway, and be seen by my
brethren.  I've always stuck to the old standard red
illumination for lack of knowledge of anything better.

Can anyone help me out .... Jim S.