From: <Sky2high@aol.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: flight instruction in new Lancairs
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 21:27:54 -0500
To: <lml>
In a message dated 11/28/2002 10:38:45 AM Central Standard Time, Brent@regandesigns.com writes:

Do go to your FSDO and explain what your are planning and why it is Required for the Safest operation and how safety is your primary concern and how not allowing you to do this will require that you send them a letter asking why they are not interested in safety and then they will have to respond in writing so you can send their letter to the AOPA lawyers.........you get the picture. Safety trumps just about everything.

Brent,

You are absolutely right.  I was about to reply to Cy Calley (EAA Safety Person) along similar lines - the language of rules notwithstanding, safety is the centerpiece.  The regs don't want you to take your wife or grandmother for a "ride" in your untested experimental nor do they want you to receive initial pilot flight training in an untested experimental just like they don't want initial testing over densely populated areas.  The motivation for these rules are safety.  Getting checked out in your custom built aircraft by an experienced test pilot (not necessarily a CFI) is conducive to safety.  Your life, that of others and the property within your test area are banking on your safe conduct of those flights.

The aircraft that we, as members of the Lancair community fly are not 80 mph wooden bi-planes powered by 1/2 VW engines - yet the "rules" are the same.  Common sense and safety require we not be slaves to the letter of the rule, but to the spirit.

Scott Krueger
N92EX