From: <Newlan2dl@aol.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Engine Cooling thought
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 21:27:54 -0500
To: <lml>
Hi Ron

Jump planes do wear out engines more quickly than more normal use planes,
particularly when there are a lot of jumpers ready to go.  A good pilot will
try and get back down slowly giving the engine a chance to cool more gently
when given a chance.  That isn't always the case though.  A lot of the drop
zones are so busy they do "hot fueling" although they DZ I normally go to
can't since there is a county ordinance against it.  I don't think the
turbine engines are as sensitive though as the piston planes.

The 24 hr jump record was in a 182 and a twin Otter if I remember correctly,
jump altitude was 3000' as I remember it.  They had to have several packers
going also.  And that was also a charity jump with people pledging dollars
for each jump but I don't remember which charity.

Dan Newland
Super ES #61
USPA 21438 "D" rating