From: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] working on plane
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 11:36:36 -0500
To: <lml>
Posted for "Dave Saylor" <Dave@AirCraftersLLC.com>:

Mark,

Yes, you (or anyone) can work on any experimental except formerly certificated aircraft (i.e., a Cessna that is being tested for a modification and has been changed temporarily to experimental).

This is spelled out in FAR 43.1(b), which says Part 43 does not apply to experimentals.  If not for this exception, FAR 43.3 would require you to at least be supervised by an A&P in order to work on a U.S. aircraft.

The rules for the condition inspection are different.  That requirement is spelled out in the operating limitations for each individual aircraft.  Every one I have seen says the condition inspection must be performed every 12 months, must be in accordance with FAR 43 Appendix D, must be recorded, and must be performed by an appropriately rated repairman (the original builder), or an A&P.  There is no requirement for an IA to perform the condition inspection.  If airworthy, the inspector so states and signs the logbook.  See also AC 20-27e Para 17c.

AirCrafters is rare in that we have several A&Ps on staff (including me) who are happy to sign off condition inspections.  In my experience, most FBOs are skittish about experimentals for just the reason stated above--there is no minimum performance requirement or mandatory record of who did what.  You just have to know what to look for, and have developed a feel for what is right.  That said, there are plenty of A&Ps out there who know experimentals or who know a particular plane well enough to be comfortable making the signoff.  Seems like you just kinda have to know somebody...

Dave Saylor
AirCrafters LLC
831-722-9141
www.AirCraftersLLC.com

If a lancair is purchased from an owner builder, can the new owner work on the plane. If yes, what can be done? is it the same as a certified aircraft,