From: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: cowling damage from heat IV-P
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 09:12:20 -0500
To: <lml>
Posted for "Andres Katz" <bucker131@hotmail.com>:

after 100 hrs of flight time my IV-P has shown blisters and discoloration facing both turbo sites, evidently due to the temperature generated by such devices.  During pressurization tests (on the ground) the blisters developed as the engine was on. Over the following hours the blistering has increased a bit despite the application of a thin thermal blanket. The space between cowling and turbos is limited. We are planning to install a thicker heath absorbing ie firewall blanket. Has anybody measured the temps that produce blistering? Any ideas to fix this problem better?
100 hrs and going like a rocket, brakes fade a bit but I let it roll. Been to the east and west coast with it, using 100 lean of peak method without gamijectors yet since the spread is not bad,, turbo temps fluctuate in flight from 1650 to 1670. CHT's limit the climb to altitude for short periods of time to about 900 f/m no oil consumption at all maybe 1 quart every 15-20 hrs. engine sagging (dont forget to build up the bottom engine mounts), poor radio reception antenna added externally, stormscope needs mapping very poor waiting for a better weather data link before venturing into heavy IFR, pressurization is great(no more masks or cannulas) I keep cabin alt at 8k SIO2 92-93% by oxymeter which I constantly monitor (non press 10,000 SIO2 in the 80'2...) so after flying many years the ones that answer questions smartly will be those that fly pressurized (just a joke).
keep building
andres