From: Gary Edwards <gary21sn@hotmail.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Body Work
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 11:19:41 -0500
To: <lml>
Scott wrote:
…In the hanger's cruel fluorescent light, the fabric weave can be seen clearly anywhere not filled by micro or not gel-coated.  Perhaps another coat of primer just before painting would have hidden the weave….

I too experienced the same result.  I applied WLS off and on over the multiple year building time with the application of the WLS from 3 to 6 times depending on the area and degree of initial glass roughness in order to get the desired smooth finish for final painting.  I had the entire plane sanded to 320 grit paper year or years in advance of final painting.  When I put the plane in the paint booth, and under those terrible florescent lights, the weave could clearly be seen.

We (2 of us) spent a whole weekend reapplying a whole gallon of WLS and resanding to hide the visual weave appearance.  Didn't work.  I could still see it under those lights.  After a base coat/clear paint scheme, and sanded to 2000 grit before buffing, it still can be clearly seen (not felt) in the hanger under the fluorescents.  Under natural light, in the hanger (doors open, lights off) or outside, it looks perfect with no visual weave apparent.

So, when you all come to see my plane, it will be with the lights off.

Gary Edwards
N21SN  LNC2