From: <VTAILJEFF@aol.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: flight instruction in newly built lancairs
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:48:02 -0500
To: <lml>
AC 20-27D "Certification and Operation of Amateur Built Aircraft" is pretty
clear on this one. NO PASSENGERS OR FLIGHT INSTRUCTION DURING PHASE I.

Para 13 a. " Amateur-built airplanes and rotorcraft will initially be limited
to operation withinan approved flight test area for at least 25 hours... or
40 hours when a noncertificated engine/ propeller combination is installed."

Para 13 c. "The carrying of passengers will not be permitted while th
eaircraft is restrricted to the flight test area.... Flight instruction will
not be allowed in the aircraft while in the flight test area."

Is this AC always abided by-- no. Is it regulatory?-- yes. If you bust your
butt and crunch your airplane during the test phase while carrying passengers
or conducting flight  training you will probably get violated by the Feds and
your insurance company may deny coverage.

So how do you get instruction? Answer: 1) fly someone else's aircraft, 2) fly
an airplane with similar flight characteristics or 3) have a qualified pilot
fly off your 25 or 40 hours as the case may be and then get instruction in
your Lancair.

Jeff Edwards
CFII DPE
LIVP #456 N619SJ First Flight Next Week God & Charlie Kohler Willing

ps-- I plan on abiding by the regulations  :)