From: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Back Flying
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 00:22:40 -0500
To: <lml>
Posted for "Shannon Knoepflein" <kycshann@kyol.net>:

When I do the BMP and then enrichen to peak HP (about 70ROP) I still
only get about 360 CHTs on the IO-540.  So, I guess your theory would
work, but its not how I'd approach it.  I think your thought of working
on the cowl so all the CHT's remain together is a great idea.  Getting
them all together will be an admirable feat if you accomplish it.  The
IO-540 with AirPlanes baffling keeps them within 20 degrees, which is
rather good I think.  On the IO-550, you'll really have to work on #2 and #6 from what I
understand.  You'll want a small hole with a scat tube leading to a
shroud around the bottom of #2, and you'll want a shroud along the back
of #6 forcing air down in front of the oil cooler.  At least that's what
I was told.  What have you done/found so far?

How close you getting to flight?  When you want these Telex's back?  You
gonna be around next Saturday and not busy, I might swing by?

---
Shannon Knoepflein   <--->   kycshann@kyol.net

[ the real question for George Braly is: Could there
ever be detonation with CHTs below 380 in a normal aspirated engine?  I'm guessing not.  so if:

1) your induction and injectors are balanced (all EGTs peek
at the same mixture/fuel flow)
2) your cowl air flow is balanced (all CHTs peek at the same
mixture/fuel flow)

and you still can't get rid of the heat fast enough (CHTs are
higher than 380 at peek to 10LOP, you can:

1) fly higher (less air up there so you make less power/heat)
2) put more byte in the prop (less RPM is less power/heat)
3) lastly, take away more fuel (more LOP is less power/heat)

I'll be working all thanksgiving :-)

   -Rob@Logan.com   ]