From: Gary Edwards <gary21sn@hotmail.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: SkySport Fuel Gauge
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 19:36:38 -0500
To: <lml>
I have noticed a couple of reports on the LML about problems with the SkySports capacitance fuel gauge.

I too have had problems.  After about 80 hours of use, the fuel level at full began to vary high or low as much as 1/4 tank, with random readings at full from one flight to the next.  I tried adjusting the full level  "pot" without success.  Contact with the factory indicated it was the fuel gauge.  They indicated the ones with the blue/green back were not working out very good.  So, I ordered a new one.  It was a slightly different size so it was difficult to install in the original panel cutout and was a lower quality with different wire mounting locations on the back.  They also mentioned the capacitance probes (mine is in the header tank) rarely have problems.

After installation of the new gauge, no improvement was observed.  Same symptoms.  More contact with the factory.  They indicated they rarely have problems with the fuel gauges, there may be a problem with the probe, and I should take it all out (original gauge and probe) and send it to them for testing and repair or replacement.

I am not looking forward to the task of removing the probe from the header tank.  Remove canopy, drain and remove header tank, and of course worst of all: I'm grounded for ? weeks.

Anyone else having similar or related problems?

Gary Edwards
235/320
N21SN
541-773-5851