From: Lorn H. Olsen <lorn@dynacomm.ws>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Back Flying
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 21:47:29 -0500
To: <lml>
My gear hydraulics are fixed and I am back flying again.

Besides an internal leak in the pump and a reversed spool valve, the right hydraulic strut had an internal leak.

It doesn't make me happy to have just spent over $2,500 but this is to let the REAL builders know how happy you should be to be able to fix your own planes.

On my test flight, I went over to Livingston County(KOZW) in SE Michigan and saw Tom Byrnes and Charley Kohler flying Tom's new LIVP. It is a beautiful airplane.

I cruised over at 1,500 ft, 7.6 gal/hr, 55% power and 175 ktas.

My engine uses 10 gal/hr at 75% power. Every .6 gal/hr below that figure is a 5% reduction in power. This comes from the engine manual. Therefore, to calculate my power, I subtract the fuel burn from 10 and divide by .6. I then multiply that number by 5% and subtract it from 75%. In the above example that would be:

   1)   ( 10 - 7.6 ) = 2.4
   2)   2.4 / .6 = 4
   3)   4 * 5% = 20%
   4)   75% - 20% = 55%

I am open to suggestions as to any other way to calculate the power used?
--
Lorn H. 'Feathers' Olsen, MAA, DynaComm, Corp.
248-478-4301, mailto:lorn@dynacomm.ws