From: Christopher Zavatson <Christopher.Zavatson@udlp.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: [LML] Re: .... Wing Airfoil [stall strips ; LE tape]
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 13:37:58 -0500
To: <lml>
>From a lift perspective potentially yes, depending on the airfoil and Re
in question.  From a drag perspective, however, you loose quite a bit by
tripping the boundary layer that far forward on a laminar wing.  Also if
the step size is too great you will separate the flow instead of
energizing it.  I have used a trip strip, literally two layers
automotive pinstriping, at about .50c to keep flow attached over the
ailerons on a very thick laminar wing section.  The sailplane folks play
around with this kind of stuff a lot.
Chris

>>> Rob.Logan@Philips.com 11/20/02 07:40AM >>>
> http://lancaironline.net/lists/lml/Message/19222-02-B/roughness.jpg
> .08c in length consisting of .011 inch grains

so bugs/frost on the tip of the LE are bad, but LE tape that
ends .3c from the tip is a good thing... (Vortex Generator
Theory) am I reading that right?

--
Utopian Maturity: Eternity, Liberty, Equality and now Fraternity &
Altruism.