From: <RWolf99@aol.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: LNC2 Brakes
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 11:38:55 -0500
To: <lml>
Ric -  Thanks for the reminder on the brake disks.  As I recall, you had a
chunk of disk break off.  So did Paul Nafziger.  I had forgotten until you
reminded me.

Chris -  I didn't know that the brake pads were stamped.  Or was this the
disks?  More to follow...

I'm getting a little confused here.  The disks are the round things that spin
with the wheels.  The pads are the non-metallic parts that wear away.  There
is another part, which I will call the "pad holder", to which the brake pads
are riveted.

1)  My understanding from Matco is that the PADS were reformulated a couple
of years ago, and their claim is that the new ones are better than
Cleveland's.

2)  The deal I mentioned yesterday is that if you buy a new set of PAD
HOLDERS (which come with new pads attached), then, henceforth, if you send a
set of pad holders with worn-out pads still attached back to Matco, and pay
for a new set of pads, then they will mount the new pads to your used pad
holders for free.

3)  What do people do when they switch to Cleveland brakes?  Do they swap out
the pads only, or pad holders too, or the disks as well?  (I though it was
the pads only.)

4)  Ric's warning about six year old brakes -- my kit was delivered in 1994
so the brakes disks were probably made in 1993.  They are probably nine years
old.  Do you recommend new disks or just new pad/padholders?

5)  Chris -- does the stamping come on the disk or the padholder?

Thanks for all the help, guys.

- Rob Wolf
LNC2 50% IO-360