From: Christopher Zavatson <Christopher.Zavatson@udlp.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: [LML] Re: .... Wing Airfoil [stall strips ; LE tape]
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 10:33:18 -0500
To: <lml>
Roughness at or very near the leading edge has a detrimental effect on
maximum lift coefficient.  Vortex generators are added farther aft to
energize the boundary layer and delay/prevent flow separation.  The
attached JPG is NACA data taken from "Theory of Wing Sections", p.147.
It shows the effect of a roughness strip which is .08c in length
consisting of .011 inch grains covering 5-10% of the strip area placed
at various chord positions.
Chris Zavatson

>>> Rob.Logan@Philips.com 11/19/02 01:08PM >>>
> bug buildup on [Martin Hollmann's blended 64212 airfoil ;
> 30% laminar flow on top and 70% laminar flow] resulted in
> an increased stall speed of about 15 knots.

I'm confused, if vortex generators make a turbulent layer
that stays attached to the wing longer, there by *lowering*
ones stall speed, how is the above true?

I do know the slightest frost on the leading edge of a LNC4
results in 7kts loss of cruse speed and very thin electric
ice boots [or LE tape] eats 5kts on the same plane. Having
never flown without at least one of the above, I had always
assumed my stalls were lower than a clean wing.

I'm confused..

--
Utopian Maturity: Eternity, Liberty, Equality and now Fraternity &
Altruism.