From: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Stall Strips
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 10:07:05 -0500
To: <lml>
Posted for "JJ JOHNSON" <JJJOHNSON@ACCESSCOMM.CA>:

Rob

     You got the nail on the head as far as I can tell. The only point I
don't agree on is that the buffeting comes from the wake hitting the tail.
I've experienced buffet from both high and low wing Spam cans and would say
that buffeting comes from the separated flow hitting the top skin of the
wing. On a high wing a/c the h-stab is so far below the wing that I don't
see how it could hit it w/ its wake.Now in the case of a low wing a/c I
could see that the buffet could also come from the tail but not always
necessarily so.  I also am not an aerodynamic engineer and can in no way
claim to be an expert on the subject.

     On another note, the stall strip that you talk of on the leading edge
and building it w/ the use of a pc of angle. I believe that Dream Catcher
had those very strips put on it and they worked quite well. Somewhere I saw
a article of some kind on it and it told the measurements of where they were
located and how long there were. I do remember that they were made w/ 1/2 x
1/2 alum. angle. I believe it was in an old newsletter.

Jarrett Johnson

320 50%