From: <N295VV@aol.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Battery Electrical Backup
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 08:40:14 -0500
To: <lml>
When we were building our LIV, we found out that a Makita 9.6 v battery from our drill would power up the hydraulic pump enough to do 5 or 6 cycles of the gear!

It was an amazing thing, especially when we compared that to lifting a single wheel by hand.  The little batteries pack a big punch.

The upshot of this is that I have been thinking about taking the case of an old Makita battery charger, cutting it apart, and making a mount somewhere in the cockpit to use for the 9.6 v as a backup in flight...

The battery itself weighs about a pound.  I would be surprised if it would not be able to power the instruments for more than a half hour, including a gear extension.

Additionally, now Makita has come out with a 9.6 v NiMH battery that has about 60% more oomph than the older configuration.

Image, maybe the new battery will cycle the gear 6-8 cycles!  And it is small enough to hold in your hand.

David Jones, Pecatonica, Illinois