From: Mark Steitle <msteitle@mail.utexas.edu>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Fwd: Re: ES Wing Airfoil
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 16:20:31 -0500
To: <lml>
Lancair provided the following information for the ES wing airfoil.  Based on my information, the 64212 airfois is in fact the same airfoil used for the Stallion.  It is designed to have about 30% laminar flow on top and 70% laminar flow on the bottom during cruise.  Laminar flow airfoils are more sensitive to bug splatter on leading edges, which according to the referenced article by Martin Hollmann (Custom Planes, December 2002), one instance of bug buildup on his Stallion resulted in an increased stall speed of about 15 knots.  Sounds like something we should all pay attention to. -- Mark