From: <Newlan2dl@aol.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Maps? Charts?
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:43:51 -0500
To: <lml>
OK, to be sure, I've spent a Hell of a lot more time navigating boats than
planes, (35 years).  I've done bunches of races to Hawaii, Tasmania, East
Coast, West Coast, Australia, Mexico, all over the world and except for the
time spent navigating the Intercoastal Waterway, I've never had a MAP on a
boat.  They are CHARTS.  Just like what happens to a rope when you carry it
on board, it becomes a line or like what happens to a lap when you stand up,
a map on a boat is a chart.  When I instructed navigation classes, I told my
students the same thing.  I did NOT want to hear the "M" word in class.  It
meant they were lubbers.

So in flying, I keep hearing it interchangably.  To me, you get a chart at
the FBO and a map at the gas station.  So what is it?  A map or a chart?

Dan Newland, (Hung up on semantics)
Super ES #61
0% done and remaining so until I finish the refit on my 37' racing
boat...Damn!