From: Skip Slater <skipslater@earthlink.net>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Better brakes fo ES
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 23:21:47 -0500
To: <lml>
Jim,
   There are better brakes, though I don't have them on my plane as of yet.  They're made by Grove Aircraft in El Cajon, web address http://www.groveaircraft.com/.  Robbie Grove makes brakes and wheels on CNC machines out of solid aluminum billet.  They are beautifully made.  I don't know if he has larger brake pads or what particular brand of pads he's using, but I can ask when I'm in San Diego tomorrow.
   When I started flying my plane regularly, I had a terrible shimmy decelerating through about 35 knots on landing rollouts.  After mistaking it for a nosewheel shimmy, we found that my brand new Cleveland brakes had an uneven disk on one main mount that was causing the problem.  Since having the disk turned, the rollouts have smoothed out, but I too took note of the amount of brake force needed to stop the plane in a reasonable distance.  I imagine the IV's have it just as bad if not worse.  The heat buildup from these high pressure brake applications not only wears down the pads faster but can contribute to warping the disks.
  It would seem to me that what's needed are larger brake pads with possibly an additional caliper to push them.
   I'll report back to the list with my findings after I talk to Grove Aircraft about it.
   Skip Slater
   N540ES