From: Jim Scales <joscales98@hotmail.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Better brakes fo ES
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 22:08:36 -0500
To: <lml>
I have a Super ES with a bit over 400 hours on it.  It is on its second set of brake pads (dutifully broken in per manufacturer's guidelines) and the brakes seem to be working as well as they can. No air, solid pedals.  The brakes are the ones that came with the kit. Unfortunately, they don't work as well as I would like them to.

I fly with other folks in their homebuilts and spamcans and can feel a very noticeable difference in braking force when compared to mine.  Mine will stop the plane but seem like they are really working overtime to do so.  I know, even at weights well below gross, that I have no chance of locking up the wheels.  And before the flames start, I have no intention of locking up the tires but maximum brake performance in my mind is having the ability to brake to just short of locking up.  I can't do that.  Can't even get close.

I talked to Lancair about it and was told I could upgrade to the max performance brakes for a tidy amount but, golly, they don't have the parts yet to do so. (May not be latest information.  Been a few months since I last asked about it.)  I also was made aware of the possibility that upgrading might not significantly improve things.

My question:  Do other ES drivers have the same experience? If not, I wonder why not and if so, what have you done about it?  I want better brakes. Any one have kit or part number information on a better set of calipers/pads that will bolt on or be adaptable to the ES? Anybody know how to fix the standard brakes?

Thanks for the help.

Jim Scales
Angels Playmate N98AF