From: Robert Smiley <rsmiley@tscnet.com>
Subject: Re: new engine questions
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 08:32:49 -0700
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Two Questions,

Lets say you have modified your engine from the standard certified
combination, like changed sumps, added forward feed and air flow performance
injection system.  No reciprocating parts have changed. I did that and with
MT prop the combination was a certified combination.  I got 25 hours from
the FAA inspector.  His concern was proven moving parts and combinations
with respect to torsinal vibrations and previously approved combinations.
True this is not an approved certified engine.

Next question.

a mandatory instruction bulletin is issued by the FAA lets say, a particular
part in the motor has been found defective like a camshaft or crankshaft and
you must correct the problem in the next 50 flight hours.  I am under the
impression that even though your engine is now "Experimental" you must
comply with these instructions because that part has been deemed to be "not
airworthy".  Any comments?

Bob Smiley
N94RJ

LML website:   http://members.olsusa.com/mkaye/maillist.html
LML Builders' Bookstore:   http://www.buildersbooks.com/lancair
Please remember that purchases from the Builders' Bookstore
assist with the management of the LML.

Please send your photos and drawings to marvkaye@olsusa.com.