From: Sboese sboese@uwyo.edu <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Renesis secondary injectors
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 12:25:40 -0600
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Finn,

Rather than coming up with a way to electronically reduce or eliminate the pressure pulse measurements, you might consider reducing or eliminating the pressure pulses in the first place.  It is my understanding that the (leak prone) stock pulsation damper results in quieter injector operation.  This makes sense if the injector, when it starts to close, is being slammed shut with pressure pulse of at least 25 psi over the normal fuel rail pressure when the damper isn’t present. It’s hard to imagine this as a good thing, but maybe that’s just me.  Similar pulses may be occurring at the dead ended primary injectors but you aren’t set up to see them.

I chose to plumb the primary and secondary fuel rails in series and installed about 2 ft of fire-sleeved hp rubber fuel injection line at the end of the series.  The hope was that this rubber line would act as a more reliable pulsation damper than the stock unit.  I say “hope” because my fuel pressure regulator, pressure sensor, fuel pumps, filters, and selector valve are all located in a module in the cockpit and vented to outside of the fuselage.  As a result, I have not tried to measure the pulse amplitude at the end of a rigid fuel rail and don’t really know how effective my setup is.  I do know it has been reliable so far (over 700 hr) and that I got steady fuel pressure readings initially with a homemade logger and later with a Dynon EMS D10.

I also provided a MAP reference to the fuel pressure sensor so the fuel pressure reading shows the pressure across only the injector and does not reflect changes in MAP or altitude.

FWIW

Steve Boese