From: Charlie England ceengland7@gmail.com <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] EGT probes location
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 16:55:51 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 4:31 PM Finn Lassen finn.lassen@verizon.net <flyrotary@lancaironline.net> wrote:
So, I'm using the Renesis stock exhaust manifold.

Tried to mount the EGT probes as close as possible and same distance
from the ports.

However, at high power I'm seeing as much as 120F higher on rotor 2.

Exhaust gas from rotor 1 passes by rotor 2 exhaust port so I'm wondering
if that somehow increases rotor 2 EGT readings.

Caught my attention today when EGT2 got above 1,800F at 6,200 RPM and
161 mph TAS @ 3,300' density altitude.

Any of you that's using the stock exhaust manifold run into this?

Finn
That would make sense. There's a lot more energy at the 2nd port where they merge than at the other end of the manifold, so that section is 'preheated'. Having said that, Lyc probes are never that close to the exhaust flange. Supposedly, the exhaust temp drops rapidly as you move downstream from the port, in piston engines.

Charlie